Intensive Academic English at LCA
Lexington Christian Academy offers the Intensive Academic English Program (IAE), a year-long academic curriculum for international students who want to succeed in a college prep program before moving onto American colleges and universities. IAE at LCA combines advanced English language proficiency training, American history, and cultural literacy instruction.
Course Credit: High School students receive course credit for English and History. Some advanced students who complete the program and move onto the traditional academic program at LCA will have the opportunity through summer work to earn enough credits to advance to the next grade.
This program is designed for the motivated student who wishes to learn academic English at an accelerated rate. Those who wish to continue at LCA must successfully complete the program requirements and be invited to return to our regular academic program. Please contact the LCA Office of Admission for more detailed information on the IAE Program.
What Makes This Program Unique?
- Students receive 14-16 hours of intensive English instruction that focuses on skills and understandings needed for academic success
- TOEFL preparation instruction is a significant part of the second semester
- Students learn about United States History that is referenced in literature and other subjects (American Studies)
- Students learn the Bible stories needed to understand the allusions in literature and history with special note of these found on Advanced Placement and Subject Area SAT II Tests
- Students can participate in all aspects of the LCA program including athletics, art, music, theatre, field trips, advisory
- Students learn how to participate in class effectively
- Students learn how to give a successful oral presentation
- Students learn how to research and document sources as expected in all United States schools, colleges and universities
- Students learn a variety of tools needed to learn the large number of vocabulary words required for academic success
- Students visit historic sites and Ivy League Universities (Harvard, MIT, etc.)
- IAE and American Studies Class sizes are very small (under 10) to allow for a significant amount of individual attention. This also facilitates increased amounts of time for each student to use the English language that is being learned.
IAE and American Studies Class sizes are very small (10 or under) to allow for a significant amount of individual attention. This also facilitates increased amounts of time for each student to use the English language that is being learned.
Lexington Christian Academy is located in beautiful, Historic Lexington, Massachusetts, only a few minutes from Boston, the “Higher Education Capital of the World.”