LCA School Profile
The following school profile is sent to each college a student applies to, along with their transcript and a recommendation letter from the director of college advising.
Quick Facts for the 2016-2017 Academic Year
- LCA is a co-educational day and boarding school with 305 students in Grades 6 to 12.
- 96% of our students from the 2015-2016 academic year re-enrolled for the 2016-2017 year.
- 88% of our full-time faculty holds advanced degrees.
- Average class size for Upper School is 15. Middle School is 14. Student to teacher ratio is 11:1.
- Tuition is $28,100 for the Upper School and $24,300 for the Middle School for 2016-2017.
- 56% of our student body receives some form of financial aid and/or scholarship.
- There is 43% ethnic diversity within our student body.
- Full-credit courses meet for four, 60-minute blocks over a six-day rotation.
- Typically, 100% of LCA graduates matriculate to 4-year colleges.
- The average number of college applications submitted is 7.
The top 25% of the Class of 2015 scored a mean of 715 in Critical Reading; 764 in Math; and 734 in Writing. The middle 50% scored a mean of 587 in Critical Reading; 606 in Math; and 599 in Writing. The lower 25% scored a mean of 468 in Critical Reading; 460 in Math; and 458 in Writing. These scores include all LCA seniors (both domestic and international students) as well as our students who receive special services.
Advanced Placement and Honors Program
- Advanced Placement courses at LCA include Biology, Calculus AB, Computer Science, English Language & Composition, English Literature, European History, Physics C Mechanics, Statistics, Studio Art, and U.S. History. LCA students also sat for the following AP Exams: Calculus BC; Chinese Language and Culture; Macro Economics; and Micro Economics.
- The overall achieved median score for Advanced Placement Exams taken in 2014 was 4 out of 5.
- Over 50% of the Class of 2015 sat for one or more AP Exams in 7 different subjects.
- The Honors Program includes 20 courses in 7 disciplines, with participation by teacher recommendation only.
21st Century Opportunities at LCA
This intensive 3-week professional placement is an essential capstone requirement for each member of our graduating class. Seniors have cultivated mentorships at some of Greater Boston’s leading organizations such as Massachusetts General Hospital, Fidelity Investments, Walden Media, Senator Elizabeth Warren’s and Governor Michael Dukakis’s offices, the Boston Police Department, and MIT’s Draper Laboratory. At LCA, we are committed to the importance of independent work beyond the traditional classroom.
The Concentrations program provides opportunities for students to enhance their liberal arts curriculum by exploring an area of interest in greater depth. This innovative opportunity allows students to focus on a curriculum area and see the ways in which the whole curriculum is connected and interrelated. Concentrations require the students to collaborate, think critically, solve problems, communicate and interact globally – all skills which are needed as 21st Century learners.
Concentrations are offered in Global Studies, the Arts, and STEM. Students select a concentration in grade 9 and work with a faculty mentor in grades 10, 11 and 12 to meet the requirements. A special designation on the LCA diploma recognizes students who complete the program.
Academics In Action
In keeping with a rigorous academic curriculum, LCA offers a strategic, week-long Academics in Action program during which normal classes are suspended, and students choose one full-day or two half-day courses. Academics in Action is a time where guest teachers and experts are utilized to broaden students' exposure to real-world experience. (March 20-24, 2016)
The Upper School courses fall into five tracks: Biblical/Leadership; Scholarship; Social Issues; Cultural/Vocational Issues, and Life Skills. Each student is expected to choose classes from each track throughout their four years of Upper School. Middle School courses fall into Discovery Classes in the morning and Activity-oriented classes in the afternoon. Academics in Action often allows time for off-campus and hands-on learning.
The Cross Worship and Performing Arts Center provides a state-of-the-art showcase for our exemplary arts programs. Here at the LCA, we are committed—every day—to infusing our rigorous academics with creative exploration, expression, and achievement.
Visual Arts Program
|Basic Design||Middle School Chorus||3 Annual Auditioned Productions|
|Painting & Drawing||Select Chorus||Intro to Theatre|
|Architecture||Middle School Band||Acting & Improv|
|Graphic Design||Chorale||Exploratory Theatre|
|Ceramics||Chamber Singers||Theatre Directed Study|
|Stained Glass||Chamber Singers Annual Tour|
LCA competes as a member of both the New England Prep School Athletic Council (NEPSAC) and the Eastern Independent League (EIL) in the following varsity sports:
|Boys' & Girls Soccer||Boys' & Girls Basketball||Boys' & Girls' Lacrosse|
|Boys' & Girls Cross Country||Boys' Wrestling||Boys' Baseball|
|Girls' Field Hockey||Girls' Softball|
Accreditation & Memberships
- New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- Association of Christian Schools International Exemplary School Accreditation
- The Association of Boarding Schools
- National Association of Independent Schools
- Association of Independent Schools of New England
- Association of Christian Schools International
- Secondary School Admissions Test Board
- Educational Records Bureau
- Christian Schools International
- New England League of Middle Schools
- Charter Member of The College Key Program
- National Association of College Admission Counseling
- National Association of Secondary School Principals
- Interim Head of School: Christine Metzger, email@example.com
- Director of Middle School: Kim A. Winsor, Ed.D., firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director of Upper School: James E. Talkington, M.A., email@example.com
- Director of College Advising: Robert C Scaro Jr., J.D., M.A., firstname.lastname@example.org
- Registrar: Debbie Sawchuk, email@example.com