The story of a school is not about bricks and mortar. It is the story of people who have a vision for the future and a passion for students. The names and faces change but these characteristics are present throughout the history of Lexington Christian Academy.
It was Elizabeth Evans who had a vision for Christian elementary and secondary schools in the greater Boston area. In 1942, Miss Evans, Director of the Department of Education for the New England Fellowship [of Evangelicals], presented a plan to the Board of Directors for the formation of evangelical Christian elementary and secondary schools in New England. The New England Association of Christian Schools (NEACS), incorporated in 1946, was begun as a result of that meeting. Ms. Evans’ vision was to have a network of elementary schools in the Boston suburbs that would serve as feeder schools for a central high school in Boston. North Shore Christian School in Lynn, a school in Rumney, N.H. and several schools on the South Shore were part of this original network.
With the help of local evangelical leaders such as Harold John Ockenga, Pastor of Park Street Church, and T. Leonard Lewis, President of Gordon College, Miss Evans proceeded with the plans to start a secondary school. Boston Christian High School opened in 1946 over a bowling alley on Huntington Avenue. The school quickly outgrew this space and Christian High School moved to Garden Street in Cambridge, to a school building formerly used by the Browne and Nichols School. Under the leadership of Miles Strodel, Assistant Headmaster, the board started to consider a move to Lexington.
In 1965 Boston Christian High School moved to our current location. A key concern in making this move was access to the MBTA so that teens who lived in Boston would be able to attend the school. After the move, the name was changed to Lexington Christian Academy. The Academy has been fully accredited since 1967 by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges.
For more than 60 years, God has worked through board members committed to a Christian education for young men and women in the Boston area. A committed faculty and staff of men and women help students to view every subject area and all of life through the lens of a Christian world view. Our curriculum is college preparatory and liberal arts by design.
In the 1990’s, a thorough curriculum review was undertaken. At that time AP courses were added. In order to implement the curriculum, updated facilities were needed. We have added new classrooms and a spacious library, a new gym and athletic fields, art and music instructional space that has allowed the addition of a band and orchestra; in a building that is both wireless and hardwired for internet access. Five state of the art science labs have been added, the last two through a generous gift from the Van Lunen Foundation. There is more work to be done.